top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I get a copy of my identification (i.e., birth certificate, social security card, etc.)?

       Yes, while it is a process, it can be done.


  • Can I get housing?

       Yes, we list emergency, temporary, and permanent housing.


  • Can I be employed with a record?

       Absolutely! Many employers are willing to hire people who have a criminal record. Whether it makes a difference can depend on the reason you have a criminal record and the type of job for which you are applying. You may be more likely to find work doing something unrelated to your prior conviction. We have multiple locations in different fields to assist you with your career goals.


  • Can I get job training with a record?

       Yes! Click on your state to see the locations with the details you need to start. Also,

CareerOne Stop's Job Search Help for Ex-Offenders website offers information, tips, and resources to help people with criminal convictions overcome barriers they might face in their job search


                                       *  State-specific resources for help with basic needs or getting ready for a job search.

                                       *  Work restrictions that apply to certain convictions

                                       *  Paying for training or college

  • Can I get my degree or trade with a record?

       Yes! A trade school or vocational college typically accepts enrollees with a criminal history, and most programs are open to felons. 


  • Can I receive Pell Grant Assistance with a record?

       Yes! The Second Chance Pell experiment provides financial aid to people currently imprisoned. Federal student aid is available to most felons after release. Previous drug convictions no longer impact your financial aid application. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelor's, graduate, or professional degree. 

  • Can I receive Food stamps (Snap benefits) with a record?

       Federal law bans persons with felony drug convictions from receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits. Some states subject people with a drug-related felony

conviction to restrictions or complete bans on food assistance under SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly food stamps), cash assistance through TANF (Temporary Assistance for

Needy Families), or both. 


  • Can I get a FREE cell phone or tablet with a record?

      Yes! To qualify for Lifeline if you or your dependent participate in another government-assistance program. These programs already have low-income requirements, so if you participate in them,

Lifeline knows you are also eligible for their program via income or other circumstances.

These programs are:

                                  *Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)


                                  *Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

                                  *Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)

                                  *Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit

bottom of page